Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Holidays.

Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays.

Now that I no longer live in the Bible belt of the conservative, southern states, I have seen “Happy Holidays” from a new light. Teaching at a school with a large Jewish population (students and teachers) has made me realize that people didn’t just start saying “Happy Holidays” to be politically correct. It is a form of respect and understanding.

One of my students practices extremely orthodox Jewish beliefs. His mother did not want him exposed to Christmas at school. She said that religion is not a school matter; it is a home matter. Despite my very conservative, Christian views, I agree with her point of view. If my child was the student of a Jewish teacher, I would not want her to expose him/her to the traditions of Hanukkah before I explained religious differences in my home. It is the job of the parents to raise and direct their children in the way of the Lord.

I’m sure many of you are thinking that, as a Christian, I should want to show my students the love of the Lord, no matter what their beliefs. That is true, and it is needed in more places in this world that only school. I am 100% dedicated to glorifying God in my career. However, I think that I can show my faith in the one true God without shoving Christmas trees, red bows, and reindeer down my students’ throats. I think it is more important to show them the love, compassion, and faithfulness that the Father intended for us to exhibit as His children and heirs to the throne.

It’s not about “Merry Christmas” or “Happy Holidays.” It’s about a JOY that Jesus brings that shines through the holidays, the regular days, and all the time.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree! The way we live our lives and act speaks louder than words anyway! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your book lists cover part of your journaling. how do i close this?

    ReplyDelete