Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Change

It has been quite a long time since I have updated. I have thought about it a ton of times, but I can never pinpoint one joyful thing to blog about. There has been a lot of change in my life, and it has all brought a lot of joy and a lot of sadness. Luckily, God’s plan for my life is sovereign, so the joy reigns through in each situation.

Life after graduation meant King’s Camp for me. If you know me, then you know King’s Camp holds a very special place in my heart. It’s a home away from home. Going into camp this year, I knew it would be a refuge for me; it would be a rock in the ocean of change. I had no idea what God had in store for me.

Over the last year, King’s Camp lost two very important people: Molly Hartrick and Jeannie Harkleroad. I feared walking into a position of leadership in their absence, but I also believe so much in the mission they have for King’s Camp, and I love being a part of its implementation. By the grace of God, King’s Camp was just as wonderful this year as every other year. It was wonderful. That is especially important to me, because this was likely my last year to serve on staff at camp. I will always be involved as a supporter through prayer, as well as any other way that I am able. As I left, one thought of camp stuck with me. One of our speakers, Leslie Carraway, created a visual image that will stay with me forever. If you have been to camp, you know that the recreational grounds are about a half mile from the barn (where we hold church each night). Campers and counselors walk to church at night, as the sun is setting. You can often hear the worship band finishing up practice as you get closer. The sun is usually sinking into one of the most breathtaking sunsets you can imagine. Leslie offers that we are like a parade of praise for the Lord, with those who have gone before us leading the way. It is a picture of Heavenly chorus, and I can only imagine that is a lot like what Heaven will be like one day.

As a director of camp, I saw many new aspects of camp, along with seeing many old aspects from a new perspective. I learned a lot about being a real servant. Servant is more of a condition of the heart than an act of kindness. God calls us to love Him and love others as He has loved us. When the condition of our heart matches that commandment, the result is serving. We will serve Him as believers in the gospel. We will serve others out of love. I have never thought of the two words in the same sense, but “LOVE” and “SERVE” are really synonymous. If you love someone, you serve them. If you are serving someone, you probably love them (or you’re at least trying to learn to love them).

After camp I was able to spend some quality time with my family. Relationships are difficult, because we are all individual products of God’s love. We are all different. Family, though, is one of those relationships that stands through the trials. Even though they all knew that I would be moving, each person was very deliberate in love and kindness throughout that time. Of course, there were a ton of side comments that related to my staying in Louisiana, but overwhelmingly more often I was surrounded by love and support. Blessed.

I was also honored at a bridal shower before I left. Incredible. Being surrounded by so many people who support my future marriage (and receiving abounding gifts from them) was such a beautiful, humbling experience. I realize now, how much the relationships I have made with family and friends in Louisiana mean to me. They have made me who I am, and I am very blessed to have them all.

The move…there will be more on this later…with pictures of the new condo!

No comments:

Post a Comment