Search This Blog

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mothers

Today, I struck up conversation with a very sweet, semi-hip old lady in the check-out line at Wal-Mart. It reminded me of my Nana. Of course, the lady was purchasing planters and potting soil. Yes, just like my Nana. The sweet little lady brought joy to my day, despite the crazy hectic flow of shoppers.
As I checked out, I realized all the times that my own mom and grandmother brought joy into my day by doing things just as simple as the lady in the check-out line. Coincidentally (or maybe not so coincidentally), these reminiscent thoughts are just in time for Mother’s Day. I think that makes it 100% acceptable to write an entire post about the moms in my life.
Now, my real mom is fantastic. I can’t even pretend she hasn’t served as everything I have needed for 24 years. We’ll get into that later though. First, I’d like to give a shout out to all my other “moms.” Being from a small town, you inherit a slew of moms that don’t even really belong to you. To all of those moms, along with my slew of aunts and great-aunts, I have to say that you have made growing up so much easier. It’s pretty tough to totally screw things up when you have a million mothering eyes watching you from various places. Thanks for keeping me on track. I think you did pretty well.
My grandmother and step-grandmother have been pivotal characters in my development too. They have played their roles quite well. I have always felt very loved and supported…and spoiled. Nana even gave me my first New Year’s champagne…at age 8-ish (but don’t tell mom). She’s been kind of like an older best friend who has already been through everything. I can’t even imagine what life would be like, if she hadn’t been there to tell me that I am smart and beautiful and to show me how to achieve my goal (not just set them). Nana instilled a lot of things in me, a lot of passions that make me who I am.
Mom. Mothers are supposed to be that driving force that shows a girl what she can be. My mom did a great job. From carting me around from cheer practice to basketball game to track meet all the way to her newest task, mom has been the most steady, supportive influence in my life. Mom’s aforementioned newest task is to let me go. Because she’s good at hiding her hurt, I assume Mom is doing a great job in this role too. I am getting married to the love of my life and moving with him to Pennsylvania. Some moms would not allow this to happen. My mom realizes that this is the best opportunity I have ever been given. I now have the chance to start my family with a man who loves me unconditionally in a state where we can both flourish professionally. I know it must be hard, but this is probably the time that I will appreciate most from mom. Mom has done her best raising me, and I think I turned out alright. Now, I’m moving on. Thank you, Mom, for teaching me everything I need and being supportive as I fly the coupe to start my own journey through life. I’m not leaving you. I’m leaving Louisiana. You’ll always be a part of my life. I love you.
To all of my MOMs: I love you so much. Thank you for shaping me into ME. Y'all bring the JOY into all daughters' lives.
P.S. I’m also getting a new mom soon! I didn’t forget you Mom Watson. You’re pretty awesome too. You’ve done a great job raising my future husband. I’m glad we’ll be close enough that I’ll get to know and learn from you too! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment