Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Little Words, Great Joy

When I started this blog, I never anticipated the semester I would have. I have never been so stressed in my entire life. There is so much going on that I cry when I look at my to-do lists, because I don’t know where to start.
Of course, I am student-teaching, writing a thesis-type project, working on a Master’s Degree, working, and planning a wedding. Oh, and my fiancĂ© may be moving back to Pennsylvania soon. No pressure though.
I don’t write those things in an attempt to gain pity. I am a firm believer that “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” –Philippians 4:13 Though that may be one of the most-used verses in the Bible, I feel that it is so real when we are overwhelmed. It is just amazing to me that God has given me His infinite power to use in accomplishing my very finite goals. Now, I have never claimed to be perfect, so I often forget that He has given me the strength AND asked me to cast my worries upon Him. (1 Peter 5:7 - Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.)
The reason I did say all of that is to explain that I have really been overlooking the JOY in my life. There are so many wonderful small things. As I write that, I have to think one of my dear friends, Kristen Eubanks. That girl is just really about enjoying the small things in life—a lesson I wish I had learned from her much earlier.
The small things: little words.
I smile inside and out when a student says, “Ms. Sullivan, I sure do love yo hair. It’s so long.”
I smile inside and out when I get a text from my wonderful fiancĂ© that says, “I love you, babe. I can’t wait until you’re my wife.”
I smile inside and out when a parent of one of my Sunday school kids is so friendly.
Side story: There is this one little family that I just LOVE at The Chapel! They have three little boys…three very cute little boys. The mom and dad always come together to drop them off to their separate classrooms. I have had the youngest (maybe 8 months now) on Wednesday evenings since he began attending. He is just so so precious and a wonderful baby! I really miss him when he isn’t there! Then, the parents are so personal and deliberate in knowing me. They use my name when they come and leave: “Hey, Ms. Tiffany! Good to see you this week.” “Tell Ms. Tiffany thank you. Have a good week.” They always ask intentional questions about my life. It makes me feel so special. They are just a blessing to my heart. Wonderful example of Christian people. Love it. Love it.
Um…well, maybe that isn’t a side story. Maybe that is the story. Maybe they are a large part of the joy in my life right now. My JOY: Mike Watson, 3rd Graders, and a good Christian family. Man, God is good all the time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment